Search Picture Book Palooza

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Fascinating Form

An Artist's Alphabet by Norman Messenger is engrossing.  Not your average alphabet book, this title draws you in and on a few pages grabs you by the throat.  Those are the spreads that leave me a little uncomfortable, but totally enthralled with what exactly is being represented.
Done with pencil and watercolors, the illustrations are fantastical and captivating.  
I especially love the letter C, M, N, and R, also depicted on the cover.  Some leave me utterly squinting my eyes and wondering what might the artist be thinking and what am I missing?
I would use this with Kindergarten and First grade students that might still be learning their alphabet.  But this would be a great book to use with older elementary students to stir the brain juices and get them thinking about perspective and looking at something from a different point of view.

No comments: