Search Picture Book Palooza

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Moon Storytime

I had a Moon Storytime last week.  Here are some books I've used and loved!
If You Decide to Go to the Moon by Faith McNulty, illustrated by Steven Kellogg is too long to read the whole thing, but I chose two or three places to point out that the moon's atmosphere is different than the earth's. I also wanted to show the page that features the astronaut's footprints and talk about that there is not air there, no wind, and no noise.  There has never been a rainstorm like here.  

Journey to the Moon by Andy Mansfield is a bright, sparkley pop-up book that the kids just love.  We went through it twice because it's fast and short and the pop-up features are fascinating and mesmerizing to the kids.

Max and the Tag-Along Moon by Floyd Cooper is the perfect read aloud for preschoolers that are captivated by the moon.  It's about grandpa and missing him but also that grandpa said the moon would follow him, always.  Cooper's art is oil on wash board then he uses an eraser and erases the paint to reveal the picture.  He calls it the subtractive process.  I love to share with kids that he makes his art a little differently since you never know from where a child might get inspiration.

Meet Me at the Moon by Gianna Marino is one of my favorite books that portrays a mother and child being separated.  Mother elephant has to leave for awhile, but they both will be looking at the same sky and stars and she'll "meet me at the moon."

The Mouse Who Ate the Moon by Petr Horacek is truly beguiling.  I love his texturey artwork and style.  The story itself intrigues me also.  Mouse thinks this banana outside his hole is part of the moon that has fallen.  He eats some of it and then is afraid that the moon won't be round because he's eaten it.  His friends, rabbit and mole say that no one can eat the moon, but Mouse knows he did.  

The word banana is not used and the animals don't seem to recognize it at all.  Every time I read it I wonder where did the banana come from?  Why aren't the animals curious about this strange new food?  I mean if it's not the moon, then what is it?  I end up with more questions than answers!

A counting down song is good to use with this theme, like you're blasting off to the moon!  I picked two from the Preschool Express website.

I’M A LITTLE ASTRONAUT
Tune:  “I’m A Little Teapot”
I’m a little astronaut 
Flying to the moon.
My rocket is ready,
We blast off soon.I climb aboard
And close the hatch.
5-4-3-2-1, off we blast!
                        Jean Warren

CLIMB ABOARD THE SPACESHIP
Tune:  “Itsy Bitsy Spider”
Climb aboard the spaceship,
We’re going to the moon.
Hurry and get ready,
We’re going to blast off soon.
Put on your helmets
And buckle up real tight.
Here comes the countdown.
Let’s count with all our might.
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1- Blast Off!
                        Elizabeth McKinnon
                        © Warren Publishing House

I used these books for Preschool Storytime and also for Kindergarten outreach.  Depending on the ages of kids, I might not use them all, but pick and choose what works best.  I used Max and the Tag-ALong Moon, Journey to the Moon, and If You Decide to Go to the Moon for both groups.  I used Meet Me at the Moon for the Preschool Storytime and not for the Kindergarten class since the Kindergarten was a little bit squirrelly that day. The Mouse Who Ate the Moon is shorter so I used that with the Kindergarteners.

No comments: