Search Picture Book Palooza

Monday, October 19, 2015

What's that Smell?

We start off with playing "Happy" by Pharrell Williams and singing and dancing with scarves. Then it's on to the Read portion with:  
Who Wants a Hug? By Jeff Mack.  Another great 2015 treat is The Skunk by Mac Barnett.  Who Wants a Hug? is truly about smelly things, while The Skunk just follows along and you keep expecting the person in the story to get sprayed.

Talk
Do skunks stink? What else?  The skunk (in The Skunk) didn’t really stink, but he was sneaky.  What did you like about this book?  What other things stink? Talk about how the two books are alike and how they are different.  

Nonfiction is always great to have on hand, you can talk about what else stinks and use a nonfiction book like What stinks? By Marilyn Singer.  I put a few post-it notes in ahead of time and show the kids some items and then take their ideas.  

Math & Flannel Board
Stinky Socks
One red stinky sock smelling like an old shoe.
Another comes another and that makes two. Two stinky socks, one red, one green,
Here comes another and that makes three.
Three socks – P. U! Here comes 1 more, that makes four.  With four stinking socks, red, green, orange, and blue, let’s add another – Five Now there’s enough to chase you!   
Add socks to the board as you say the rhyme.  I just made this one up.             

Science & Play
Scratch and Sniff Name Cards to play with, you can smell, hear, see, and touch them, but not taste because of the glue.
There's a link for the whole 5 senses, here.

Rhyme Time Black Socks - using Bill Harley CD -Play it again 

Black socks, they never get dirty,
The longer you wear them the stronger they get.
Sometimes I think I should wash them,
But something inside me says No, no, not yet.
Not yet, not yet, not yet...

Sing
The children in my Storytimes love Laurie Berkner's The Goldfish song.  So we play that in between stories.  

More Read
Near the end of Storytime I pass out board books and all the kids sit with a book and 'read' to themselves, each other, to an adult they came with, whatever works.  I usually have 2 sets on hand, but if we have more kids than books, I pull out my tubs of books and they pick.  Or if there is a very stubborn child and they do not want to use the set I am using, they pick their own.  I read aloud the sets I have.  It's a bit chaotic.  But we talk about how the children need to have books in their hands if they are ever going to learn to read, and the daycare teachers and helpers seem to get it.

After that we exchange the book for a shaker and sing and shake it out.  I use Laurie Berkner's I Know a Chicken, or Jim Gill's Silly Dance contest.

Hope you are having a great October!

No comments: