Search Picture Book Palooza

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Going to the Beach

We need to talk more with our children. Talk about what we're doing, what they are experiencing and simply what is going on.
So for Storytime this week we went to the beach.

Talk and Background Knowledge
Let’s talk about going to the beach.

Beach House by Deanna Caswell

We sang The Goldfish by Laurie Berkner, the kids that come to my Storytime love this song!  It's a great song to get them to listen and follow directions.

For Math I used Beach I Spy from this website, here. I think it will be great for the kids to search and count the different beach items.

A good classic read aloud is All You Need for a Beach by Alice Schertle.  We didn't get to read this title this week, but I booktalked it. 

For Play, I suggest pretending you are at the beach, it’s easy, a towel on the floor, a ball, sunglasses, a cool glass of tea, listen to ocean sounds or beach music!

A Great Read Together – The Bears’ Vacation by Stan Berenstain (Ms. Dianna’s Favorite)  I showed and read aloud about 4 pages and shared that my dad read this with me and it's a great read, especially one-on-one.

For Science:
Do you know why we have high tide and low tide? Using Why do the ocean have tides? By Marian B. Jacobs I booktalked about tides.

I Read aloud A Beach Tail by Karen Lynn Williams because it's a great read aloud and you follow along with Gregory as he explores the beach.  It features an African American young male and his dad. It is illustrated by Floyd Cooper, so with a wonderfully diverse group of children I have in my Storytime, it's a perfect match. I briefly explained Mr. Cooper's technique of painting.

We grabbed our shakers and sang Shake & Stop and Up So High from Kids Make Music and Alabama, Mississippi by Jim Gill

With the flannel board I used  Baa Baa Black Sheep.
Baa, baa black sheep have you any wool?
Yes, sir, yes, sir, three bags full.
One for me and one for Jane,
And one for my friend that lives down the lane. 
(I don't like the old-fashioned version, it sounds way too slave-owner like with the 'master' in it,  so I changed it.)

Then I used the book sets This Little Fishy by Richard Powell and handed out each book so the kids could manipulate the book themselves.  I read it aloud, but they go at their own pace so that they have the book in their hands and get to play with awhile.

Another Early Literacy Tip from Saroj Ghoting:
"As children get older they follow directions, repeat your words, respond to what you say with words, phrases, and then whole sentences. Listening to children while they speak is as important as talking to them."


Take Home Connection & Write
  • Letter B to make a beach with sand and shells.
  • Writing letter B
  • Beach I Spy
One week had the previous line-up and the next week I read aloud Sea Rex by Molly Idle, It's a Seashell Day by Dianne Ochiltree, and To the Beach!
The first week I had two children and 3 adults and the 2nd week I had 12 children and 4 adults.  I never know from week to week if I'll have zero or twenty.  So from time to time, I'll repeat a very similar Storytime when it's all new kids.  At both I read A Beach Tail by Karen Lynn Williams, because I believe strongly that children need to see themselves in books.

The Letter B page idea I saw on Pinterest, here.

No comments: