Search Picture Book Palooza

Thursday, August 13, 2015

New Year Starting


This week we started Storytime with singing Happy by Pharrell Williams.  We used scarves to sing and dance.
Then it was on to our first book
The Bear Ate Your Sandwich by Julia Sarcone-Roach                              

Then we sang "Hands are for Clapping" from Jim Gill's CD Jim Gill sings the sneezing song and other contagious tunes.

Our Math component was the handout D is for doghouse, it has counting with it.  This came from a Mom Blog.
 My next book was an old classic that my mom read to me and I wanted to share with my Storytime crew.

Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion


I used the Play concept by bringing out some dog puppets today, but also I showed the children how to make a dog from paper.  It was an easy and fun puppet.
It's easy to incorporate Science when using a non-fiction book like, Dog by Juliet Clutton-Brock.
Dogs are mammals like people. They are warm-blooded, are born live, drink milk from their mothers and they have hair.

I like to include another aside like this one:
Also…
Dramatic play, when children act out stories, helps them build background knowledge and learn how stories work.

We  used our egg shakers and singing Shake & Stop and Up So High from Kids Make Music and I Know a Chicken from Laurie Berkner's Greatest Hits.

We finished up with everyone sitting down and reading a book with an adult or with another child.  We used That’s Not My Puppy by Fiona Watt & Roly Poly Puppies by Elaine Moore

I like to have a Take Home Connection and this one also includes Writing, with the D is for doghouse and the Letter D tracing was from this website, here.  and the origami dog puppet, here.

It was a long and fun summer.  I also had some health issues in the spring, and had surgery for herniated discs in my neck.  So hopefully I'm back in the swing of things.  What I want to do this school year for Storytime is feature a new book, a classic and book that is within 5 to 10 years old and a book set or two.  
At my library we're starting a new Family Funday program on Mondays, so I'd like to share those here also.  

No comments: