Search Picture Book Palooza

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Thrilling Thursday

Monty's Magnificent Mane by Gemma O'Neill is marvelous, simply marvelous! OK, I do love this, but I use marvelous because of the MMs. Monty has a giant ego about his hair.  The meerkats play with it, he struts his stuff, he admires himself in the shimmery waterhole, where there is a friend lurking, crocodile who chomps off a big chunk of his mane.  So Monty hightails it out of there until the meerkats are in trouble, then he saves them.  So I'm glad Monty overcame his egotism to help his friends.
But I also love this title because of the mixed media.  The collage and wild colors of the mane are amazing! I mean when someone can make muddy, murky water beautiful, that's cool.  And she manages to make Monty's mane look like its fire. I love it. With the mixed media you don't know exactly how that's done, but I'm looking into that.  It appears to be colored pencil, some crayon, bits of newspaper and maps, and other specialty papers. I would imagine some digital coloring too.

No comments: