Search Picture Book Palooza

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Thrilling Thursday

The Bear Ate Your Sandwich by Julia Sarcone-Roache is another bear book, just had one yesterday, but when you get to the end, you'll see it isn't really about the bear! There's a surprise twist that I'm not telling you about.
We start with the end papers, lots of different kinds of sandwiches. Then cue the narrator telling the reader about what happened to their sandwich, it started with the bear. And what a great story, a grand adventure that bear took.  It somehow managed to hitch a ride into the city, roam all over looking for something to eat and that's when it found your sandwich.
The illustrations in this book were created using acrylic paint and pencil.  I love the impressionistic look of the art.  The colors are done with wonderful contrasting blues, greens, yellows, and oranges.  There is a ton of movement and just the right amount of light.  
I was caught unaware by the unexpected turn at the end and I know the kids will love this one too.  They love a sudden switch and I love to catch them with a good one.  I'll use this with Kindergarten to 3rd grade. 

No comments: