Search Picture Book Palooza

Friday, February 6, 2015

Friday Favorites

Hopper and Wilson Fetch a Star by Maria Van Lieshout is such a lovely friendship story.  Hopper is a stuffed elephant and Wilson is a stuffed mouse.  They have a cactus and are looking up at the wonderful night sky and decide to acquire a star for themselves.  They take a trip to the stars, stop by the moon and end up going back home empty-handed, but wiser.
This adventure is brought you by art created with watercolors, ink, collage, colored pencil, crayon, a smudge of acrylics and some technology to pull it all together.
I love the newspaper paper airplane, the lemonade fuel, the use of crayon, the clouds, and the ink.  I think I would have liked the stars a little better if when far away they did not look 'star shaped', if they were more dots. Then when you get close you see the shapes.
This is such a sweet story.  I hadn't noticed that there was a previous Hopper and Wilson story, so I'll have to get it and take a look at it too.   I'll share it with PreK to 2nd grade.  

No comments: