Search Picture Book Palooza

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Thoughtful Thursday

Lion, Lion by Miriam Busch, illustrated by Larry Day is so much fun!  I used this to read with 1st and 2nd graders last week and they loved it.  The young man is looking for lion. This lion is looking for some lunch.  Along the way they find some food, but the lion doesn't like any of it.  And they find some small animals that give the lion a hard time.  I love the twist to this.  The kids loved it too!
The artist used watercolor, gouache, Wolff pencil, and pencil on Twinrocker handmade watercolor paper to create the illustrations for this book.  The pictures are delightful.  One thing I like that I'd like to point out is that there was no 'cultural' reason to make this an African-American young man.  He just is.  We need more of this.  Our children, and by 'our' I mean the children in our schools, need to see themselves in books.  We need more diverse books, like this one.  When I go to the schools near my library to read stories, I see one to three white children in the classrooms.  That is a 60% difference in the county percentage of Caucasian to Black, Hispanic, and Burmese in our area.  I need more books with more diversity to show the kids in my area.  So authors, illustrators keep it up!
I'll recommend this book to parents, teachers, and children from preschool to third grade.

No comments: