Search Picture Book Palooza

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Terrific Tuesday

The Big Splash! written by A. H. Benjamin, illustrated by Jon Lycett-Smith is a fun forest animal story. It features a rabbit, raccoon, beaver, skunk, fox, and a surprise animal.  There is repetition and suspense in the story with comical expression and expressive color in the art.  The art and story work so well together. I have liked or loved all of A. H. Benjamin's stories, but this is my first Jon Lycett-Smith illustration, they are both UK based so I'm not surprised that Lycett-Smith is new to me.
The illustrations are done using pen and ink which is then scanned and colored in Photoshop CS6.  I also love the shadowing done in the art, the end papers, and the big fold out page.
I've looked several places and this book is listed to start being read to 3 year-olds and I think that might be a year too young.  But I definitely would recommend it for Preschoolers to Second graders.  I can't wait to share it with students this week when I go to the school for stories.  They will love it! I will be using it in Storytime and recommending it to children and parents.  

No comments: