Search Picture Book Palooza

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Wonderful Wednesday

The Tree House That Jack Built by Bonnie Verburg, illustrations by Mark Teague brings to life an old childhood favorite, a tree house.  When I went to Disney World with my family, my favorite part was the Swiss Family Robinson Tree House.  All the fun gadgets, the pulleys, the water flowing up somehow, it's a fascinating book with all these attributes and whimsey.  From the nut-cracking invention to the basket to bring up the cat and dog, and the carrot machine for the bunnies, it's just one delight after another.
The illustrations are acrylic paintings that will keep you pouring over them.  It's a fun rhyme and of course, it has a Storytime in it, so I'm sold.  The art is exotic using a banyan tree with lizards, monkeys, and jungle birds.  I can see myself reading it aloud in my Storytime, but also I can see children and parents taking their time to find each little nuance in the paintings.
This is the perfect book to use Early Literacy skills and practices.  It's such an intriguing book that the first one that pops into my head is PLAY.  Asking 'What' questions and open-ending questions will keep the interest for a child.  Using this story for STEM activities would be fun too.  Rigging up a pulley system and showing your child how that works would be an amazing activity for follow-up.

No comments: