Search Picture Book Palooza

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Terrific Tuesday

All Kinds of Strong by Sharon Reiss Baker, illustrated by Kris Wiltse is a sweet story about a little girl, Sadie Rose, that doesn't seem to be growing very well.  It's about intergenerational friendship and about loss and hope.  I enjoyed the old-fashioned story that shows how a person can be conceived by others but then comes shining through to show that they are stronger than perceived. 
The art, I thought at first, was done with block print somehow, but on consulting the publishing information found that the illustrations were created in Corel Painter and Adobe Photoshop.  The really give the feel of block printing.  I love the bold lines and textured painting. 
There is an activity guide at one of my favorite websites - Teachers Pay Teachers, here. You have to sign-up but they have so many free lesson plan items.  It's one of my go-to websites.
I'll use this title with second to fourth or fifth grade; it's a longer picture book story and students will understand it's 'strong' meaning.

No comments: