Search Picture Book Palooza

Monday, September 22, 2014

Marvelous Monday

There Once Was A Cowpoke Who Swallowed an Ant by Helen Ketteman, illustrations by Will Terry is deliciously wild.  It's a new take on the "Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly."  I love the pairing of Ketteman and Terry.  I've shared their books in first and second grades and the kids respond so well to the stories and the art.  Probably our favorite was "The Three Little Gators" with the big bottom boar.  There is nothing so great as a wild animal that mashes other animals' houses with its butt.  This title has a distinctive southwest flavor with the roadrunner, boar, 'dillo, and lizard.  This year with my outreach I'm using variants of old tales.  There Once Was a Cowpoke... will hit if off well with the kids too.  I love Terry's use of perspective and I thought I knew where the story was going when I saw the outhouse, but I was tricked!

No comments: