Search Picture Book Palooza

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Terrific Tuesday

Firefly July: A Year of Very Short Poems selected by Paul B. Janeczko, illustrated by Melissa Sweet is my favorite kind of poetry - short and oh, so Sweet!  (OK, yes pun intended on the illustrator's name.)
This is a picture book, although quite long for one, the pictures and poems work in tandem as one.  I see another Caldecott looming with this one.  The wonderful way that Sweet has with a collage look and groupings as she wields the watercolor, gouache, and mixed media is magic. 
Some of my favorite poems and art pairings: The Island, the one about the gulls, The Window, Little Orange Cat, and well OK, all of them are my favorite.  The poem selections are great, but Sweet adds more in the illustrations to extend the poem in the art.  How she can use one illustration for three very different poems is amazing.  The only other thing I can add is: Enjoy!

No comments: