Search Picture Book Palooza

Friday, August 15, 2014

Friday Favorites

Turtle Island by Kevin Sherry is one more fascinating story from him.  First of all, I love his watercolors!  The salt added to give interesting ocean scenes, how he makes the water and sun work together, and those goofy characters he draws.  They make my heart happy and me smile.  Turtle Island is all about friends and loneliness and growing.  
The art was penciled, inked, then painted with watercolors. The dedication page is just wonderful using salt in watercolors.  The page with the sun going down, and with the shipwreck because of the storm, and the fireworks page are my very most favorites.  
I'll use this with preschoolers in Storytime and with Kindergarten to Second Graders.  I'd love to use this book with my Afterschool Scholars group and teach how to use salt with watercolors.  Hmmmm, I think I have a good idea.

No comments: