Search Picture Book Palooza

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Throw Back Thursday

Cheers For A Dozen Ears: A Summer Crop of Counting by Felicia Sanzari Chernesky, illustrated by Susan Swan is throw back because it reminds me of going to the farm market as a child.  My mom and aunt would can fruit and vegetables and it brought me right back to childhood.
The rhyming text counts its way through the farm stand with wonderful college art.  Susan Swan is one of my favorite collegers (new word?), on her website she calls herself a digital cut/paper mixed media illustrator.  When it comes to college and all those textures you can get messy very fast.  This title has a lot of texture, beautiful color, and it keeps the mess to a minimum.  The bees are very Eric Carle like; the outdoors depiction makes me want to go outside and enjoy the wonderful day; and as a whole the artwork makes me reminisce about my Aunt Sylvia's 8 day pickles. I'll use this book in Storytime for preschool and Kindergarteners.  This title will also fit into Early Literacy by calling on background knowledge or building on it.  It will be fun to recreate the story by having the children Play! with counting out the number of fruits and vegetables.  When children act out stories, they build background knowledge and they learn how a story works. 

No comments: