Search Picture Book Palooza

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Terrific Tuesday

Go! Go! Go! Stop! by Charise Mericle Harper is a fun stop and go construction book.  Little Go rolls into town but when there's too much go, go, go, little red helps out with the Stop!  
It will be a great Every Child Ready to Read title.  I can even imagine a Go, go, stop! game like duck, duck, goose.  I can't wait to use this is Storytime.  
I love the mixture of cartoon art and realistic dirt, sand, and concrete that are used together.  Here's the freebie of the day from Harper's website, here
You can use this book to talk about balance, about the fun construction vehicles - kids love those!  You can use this to point out letters and words, print awareness and letter knowledge.  Play with your own toys and use Go and Stop to tell a story. I like the words in different shape bubbles of things the vehicles are doing, that's introducing verbs. You can talk about opposites with this title; you can make up a stop and go song, bring in a traffic light song, or rhyme words with either go and/or stop.  
Don't forget the ending! When little yellow comes along.  This is perfect for the open-ended questions of what's going to happen next? 
It's been 13 years since I started to deliberately use early literacy skills in my library programming and outreach, so when a book like this comes along, my mind is just exploding with things I can do with this one title.  Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

No comments: