Search Picture Book Palooza

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Terrific Tuesday

One Busy Day: A Story for Brothers And Sisters by Lola M. Schaefer, illustrated by Jessica Meserve is brilliant story of a brother and sister playing together.  They don't start out playing together, but the end up that way.  It reminds me of me and my sister, when I didn't want to play with her because she was a pest.  But Mia just plays by herself, and her play is so fun, that her brother Spencer is drawn into her imagination.  I love the colors, bright, and beautiful nature of the story and pictures.  The artist explains how she does her art: 
"I draw all the roughs in photoshop using my drawing tablet. I try really hard to keep the energy of the initial rough drawings in the final artwork. So once the roughs are approved by the publisher I use the rough drawing as a 'multiply' layer in photoshop and add colour behind in another layer so I don't change the original line drawing. "
This book will work good for families that might need a fun, loving urge about siblings getting along.  I used it in Storytime last week and the kids were able to make a connection to the book.  Pointing out to children, while using a book, how they can relate to a story helps them build background knowledge.  Background knowledge is a very important part of early literacy.  Making those connection to a book, to the print and pictures helps children have a better relationship with books and reading.

No comments: