Search Picture Book Palooza

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Wonderful Wednesday

The Golden Sandal: A Middle Eastern Cinderella Story by Rebecca Hickox, illustrated by Will Hillenbrand a delightful version of the Cinderella story.  Maha is helped not by a fairy godmother, but by a magic fish.  I like the change in the story that includes a magic fish, what a fun deviation from the traditional story.
I'm happy to see such a beautifully illustrated variant.  Will did the artwork for this book on vellum - a translucent paper. For each picture, a copy of the final pencil drawing was placed in reverse on the underside of the vellum.  Some under painting was then done with oil paint or pastel to give the picture a color field. The picture was then drymounted with a wax tissue to a flexible bristol board to make the vellum more rigid. Finally the picture was painted with a mixture of media including oils, oil pastel, egg tempera, watercolor, water soluble artist crayons, and a combination of woodless pencils.
The art and story work together to bring a light-hearted story with terrific details that show another aspect of the Cinderella story.  This title was published in 1998, so I'm a latecomer to it, but I've found it a choice additional to my Cinderella variants.
I'll use this when I go to the elementary school and present different versions of familiar fairy tales. 

No comments: