Search Picture Book Palooza

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Thoughtful Thursday

Nest by Jorey Hurley is birdilicious.  Two robins make a nest and then from there we follow the hatchling through the year.  This nearly wordless book has one word per spread and leaves the rest to the readers imagination.  I can imagine the talk that will surround this book between the child and parent.  
The art is done in Photoshop and leaves the illustrations clean and soft.  The matte colors show the first year of a robin's life. This is Jorey's first picture book.
I liked going back over this title a few times to look closer and think of "What" questions to use in Storytime.
I used it in Storytime and the preschoolers loved it.  I'll use this with Kindergarten and First Graders using the life cycle of the robin or seasons as a theme. This book fits in perfectly with my "I'm ready for Spring and I'm not going to read another book on snow or winter until next year" rant going on in me at the beginning of March in Indiana.

No comments: