Search Picture Book Palooza

Monday, March 10, 2014

Marvelous Monday

Two Little Birds by Mary Newell DePalma is inspirational.  These two little birds begin their long migration south and back again to begin their own family.  It has rhyming text, courageous characters, and a satisfying ending.
The art is done in collage. 

I emailed Mary and asked how she does her collage and here was her reply, "I made the illustrations with acrylic paint and assorted collage materials on unbleached linen attached to watercolor paper. I wanted the solidity of the collage textures to contrast with the openness of the sky.  I wanted readers to imagine how a nest might feel and the time it takes for birds to make a nest (with their beaks!)"  This kind of collage that uses real materials simply makes the art jump off the page.  The soft pastel colors work to keep this tale light, but there are plenty of dark evenings and turmoil that keeps these two little birds going. Here's a photo that Mary sent me to show the types of items used.


There's an author note about the orchard orioles and their migration.  I liked the end of her note: "Be curious! We journey together."  It's the right feel for a title for children, sparking their imagination and ideas.
I'll use this title in Storytime and I plan on using it for my visit to a local school for Kindergarteners, first graders, and second graders.

No comments: