Search Picture Book Palooza

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Thursday Thoughts

Knock Knock: My Dad's Dream for Me by Daniel Beaty, illustrated by Bryan Collier is one of the most moving books I've read this past year.  It comes out of a true hardship the author experienced.  In sharing this painful loss, it brings honesty, hope, and new life to many fatherless children.
The brilliant art was rendered in watercolor and collage on Arches 400 lb. paper.  They are beautiful and haunting.  They capture the loneliness of the boy and how he picks himself up and makes his own choices as his father's letter tells him to.
Bryan's symbolism comes through loud and strong, but in a subtle and delicate way.  You will probably find yourself pouring over the pictures again and again, like me.  I'll use this with any age that wants or needs this story.  I will share this artwork with many children to help them understand life.

No comments: