Search Picture Book Palooza

Friday, January 31, 2014

Friday Favorites

Picture a Tree by Barbara Reid is an ode to trees. Depending how you see a tree, it could be an umbrella, an ocean, skeleton, or a high-rise.
The illustrations in this book were made with Plasticine that was shaped and pressed onto illustration board. Paint was used for special effects.  I was so excited to see something 'chunky'.  I love the use of collage like materials and Plasticine fits the bill good enough for me.  Reid uses vivid colors and just enough words to gain attention and hold it.  You come away with a different way to look at trees.  I'll use this title with Preschoolers to 2nd graders, in Storytime or at a school. I'd suggest this book be used for Earth Day, Arbor Day, or just a study of trees. 

No comments: