Search Picture Book Palooza

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Thoughtful Thursday

The First Drawing by Mordicai Gerstein is a wonderfully imagined story about how a child was the first person to draw, 30,000 years ago.
Gerstein is a Caldecott Medal Winner and this book shows that he could be again. I love the author's note where he explains how he always thought it was a child that invented drawing.  And when they found a child's footprint in the caves in Southern France, Gerstein exclaims that he was right.  
The illustrations for this book were done in acrylics, pen and ink, and colored pencil on Strathmore 2-ply plate finish paper. The art is beautiful and moving.  I really enjoy how the story brings out that the child could see things that others couldn't, until he drew a picture on the wall.  That's been a difficult part of learning to draw and paint later in life. Adults lose some of that instinctual 'seeing'.  I know with my class there are times when my teacher talks about seeing a color or shape and I have to really focus or I don't see it. 
I'll use this story with preschoolers, 5 years-old and school-age Kindergarten to third grade.  I could see using this with older school-aged kids, fourth grade and up, especially if introducing a fossil, mammoth, or drawing discussion.  

No comments: