Search Picture Book Palooza

Friday, November 1, 2013

Friday Favorites

I Could Do That! Esther Morris Gets Women the Vote by Linda Arms White, pictures by Nancy Carpenter is a story after my own heart.  Published n 2005, this title has the staying power to inspire future generations to step up and say, "I can do that!" 
I think I was born singing, "Girls can do anything boys can do, better!"  I just said this to my nieces yesterday.  When my niece, Lindsay, said she wanted a football for her birthday, my husband questioned it, but I said, "If that's what she wants, then that's what we'll get her.  Girls can do anything..." I said it with a smile, and Harry knew that my mind was made up.  93 years ago, women all across the United States were allowed to vote.  And still today they are questioned and argued with about their rights.  It is truly despicable.
Sharing books like this help broaden everyone's mind to the possibilities for everyone.
The artist used oils in an American Folk Art way.  Plenty of detail and a style that goes right with the feel of the time in the story.
There is an author's note about the 'historical fiction' that may be a part of this book, but she offers resources and her thoughts on the authenticity of the story.
Great to use with school-age children, maybe for women's history month, during election time, or just anytime for encouragement.

No comments: