Search Picture Book Palooza

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Tuesday Variants

This is the Rope: A Story from the Great Migration by Jacqueline Woodson, illustrated by James Ransome is an intergenerational story.  I'm putting it with the Tuesday Variants because at first reading, my mind went right to "The House that Jack Built," style, but it's not a true rhythm and rhyme to Jack.  It's a far deeper story, of course this is Jacqueline Woodson told eloquently with words and Ramsome's oil paintings.
It just goes to show that anything can be an heirloom or an important family artifact, even an old plain rope.
In my family, there is a ceramic apple container that will be passed down to me.  I have my Great Aunt Madge's tea set, we have small blue baskets from Harry, my husband's mom, and a glass, brown hen.  These are more knick-knack items, but the rope is a more utilitarian piece.  Something that is used over and over again, and passed down for different purposes.  I like that idea, just some regular old - something - that gets used by different people.  And it moves with them, like the scissors in my Grandma Hilda's sewing box, or a picture or piece of furniture.  This is a great book to share with family, or to spark a conversation with a class of school-aged children. 

No comments: