Search Picture Book Palooza

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Three Billy Goats Gruff by Paul Galdone is one of my favorites of his.  The book is large and easy to share with a group, and keeps to the traditional folktale.  The classic is illustrated with watercolors, pen and ink.  It is an amazing rendition of the tale with great perspective.  It was first published in 1973.
I'm using The Three Billy Goats Gruff this month for my outreach programs.  With 1st & 2nd grade, I'm also using The Three Bully Goats by Leslie Kimmelman, illustrated by Will Terry.  The 'bully' goats version is a reversal of the roles.  The goats are bullies, and the ogre only wants to remind them to be kind to the baby animals in the meadow.
The illustrations are done digitally with Photoshop.  I love how in the 'bully' goats that the ogre is so sweet and scared of the goats.  The goats are really mean and mean looking.  I love the conclusion where not all the baby animals aren't able to care for themselves.  And that there is no violence or backlash on the bully goats except where the baby animals are naturally protecting themselves.  It seems such just punishment.

No comments: