Search Picture Book Palooza

Friday, September 20, 2013

Friday Favorites

What Am I? Where Am I? by Ted Lewin is an "I LIKE TO READ" book from Holiday House. And although this is a new book, I picked it for Friday Favorites because I can see using this again and again and again.

It's similar to Hoban's "Look" books, but done with watercolors and pencil.  It starts with a circle and you see part of an animal. It askes "What am I?" And then you turn the page to see the 2 page spread of the animal and it asks "Where am I?"  Turn the page and you see the animal in it's habitat.  It has a great first, next, last quality to it.

This would make a great introduction to animal habitats for 1st & 2nd grade.  It's easy enough for Preschoolers and Kindergarten too.  If you play it like a guessing game, that will keep the younger children's interest.  The sea otter really had me, I couldn't guess that one at all.

No comments: