Search Picture Book Palooza

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Throwback Thursday

I'm starting a new way to post.  At least I'm going to try this and see how it goes.  I'm going to work on Monday through Friday posts.  Monday posts with be brand new books, Tuesday will be variants of other folklore, Wednesdays will be concepts like alphabet, rhyming, counting, etc. Thursdays will be Throwback days where the titles will be at least 10 years old. And that leaves Friday for Favorites, it will be a mix of older and newer titles, but they will be my all-time favorites, too.



So this week's Throwback Thursday is Every Autumn Comes the Bear by Jim Arnosky, published in 1993.  This beautifully illustrated story is about a bear that goes through a routine to get ready for the winter.  I use this book almost every time I do a Hibernation theme Storytime, and Fall or Autumn themes.
The Arnosky's watercolors bring nature alive. 
Although I would use this for a preschool Storytime, I would also use it to introduce a forest theme to older children.  There is no reason to leave all the wonderfully illustrated books for the younger children only.  Older primary and intermediate school-aged children can appreciate the beauty, also.

No comments: