Search Picture Book Palooza

Friday, November 16, 2012

African American Art

My library has been renting Mobile Museums from the Kentucky Museum of Arts and Crafts once a month. This month's study was African American Art.

I decided to focus on Romare Bearden and collage art.  Using the biography Romare Bearden: Collage of Memories by Jan Greenberg and a DVD from L&S Video, Romare Bearden: Visual Jazz and Faith Ringgold: The Last Story Quilt, both a great tribute to an amazing artist.
For my home school group and my after school group, we made our own collages from scrap paper, old magazines, and glue.  

I'm afraid the students didn't get the true meaning of collage, where you put together pieces of paper or other items to make something new. They seemed to just cut out stuff they liked, but then maybe my feeling for collage is  just different than theirs. 



No comments: