Search Picture Book Palooza

Monday, October 29, 2012

A Wonderful, Magical Sound...


The Ant and the Grasshopper by Rebecca Emberley and Ed Emberley is different take on the old fable.  With wild abandon colors and bold graphics, this version spotlights the grasshopper's music as bringing a lighthearted take on every day work. 

I emailed Rebecca about how the artwork is done and here is her reply: The art is created by my cutting pieces of brown paper and pasting them to a white sheet 8.5x11. I do not draw them first, I just cut. Then my father scans them into FreehandMX (which is obsolete but we keep using it) they are then black, so I color them on screen, assemble the pieces (which is sometimes a surprise since I only envision with my scissors) Then my father and I lay out the pages together. He usually designs the jackets.

Thanks to Rebecca for replying to my question.  That informal kind of communication is one thing that has been a pleasant surprise with this blog.  When I don't find enough information, I usually can find an email for the author or illustrator and VIOLA! more info!

This version of the ant and the grasshopper would go well with a second or third grade folklore unit.  It's a new take on an old tale, so it would help get the kids thinking about stories and the deeper meaning they have.


No comments: