Search Picture Book Palooza

Friday, August 31, 2012

That Apple is TOO Big!

A New House for Mouse by Petr Horacek is bright die-cut story. I'm always looking for new 'apple' books.  I do an apple theme in my storytime and for outreach to daycares every September.  I don't want it to get boring and keep looking for the latest fun apple book.  A New House for Mouse isn't new, published in 2004, but I'm seeing it for the first time.

The apple is too big for mouse's house, so she goes looking for a new one.  As she looks she comes across a mole, a rabbit, a badger, and a bear.  They all have promising new houses, but they just won't fit mouse and her apple.  She also gets hungry while she looks, so of course she takes a bite of the apple and it gets smaller, and smaller, and smaller.  I'm sure you can guess what happens at the end.  

I love the die cut feature and the vivid pictures.  The illustrations were done in watercolor and cut paper.  Look around on Petr's website and see more of his artwork or his blog.

I'll be using this in my preschool storytime, but also for that age when I go to preschools and daycares.  This could be used with math core standards showing small, medium, and large, or in Kindergarten to second grade the big, bigger, biggest element.

No comments: