Search Picture Book Palooza

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Thomas Docherty

To the Beach by Thomas Docherty isn't brand new, but I just saw it for the first time and thought this artist's style looked familiar.  He did the Big Scary Monster book I reviewed last year. I'm working on an ocean theme, and this book came up while investigating seashore books.  
The art is done with watercolors and ink on paper.  The shadowing done is brilliant!  I love the bold, bright colors, bits of details, and how his imagination works, too.  I mean do you know anyone else that would take a plane, a sailboat, a truck, and a camel to get to the sea?  
If you check out Thomas Docherty's Website, be sure to click on the 'me' link.  I'd like to know if anyone else thinks he's a young looking Harry Connick Jr.   
I decided that I'd rather use this book for a Storytime theme on transportation instead of a going to the beach or seashore.   I can see using this as a story starter idea for first or second graders too.  It would be fun to see where the students would take the story.

No comments: