Search Picture Book Palooza

Thursday, March 15, 2012

America's Favorite Game

Just As Good: How Larry Doby Changed America's Game by Chris Crowe, illustrated by Mike Benny is a beautifully illustrated story.  Done in acrylics, the art brings to life the changing times in late 1940s baseball.  Changing because of Larry Doby, a black ballplayer wasn't just a fluke.  
The story is told through the eyes of Homer, who wasn't allowed to play little league because he was black.  Homer and his father listen to the Cleveland Indians games on the radio, the story also shows the bond of the father and son with baseball.  
It reminds me of my dad and when I would watch baseball with him.  I've never been very fond of baseball, the pace of the game is too slow for me.  But this story shows another hero in African-American history through the eyes of one family. I love the last line: "Change ain't a-comin', Homer. It's already here." 

No comments: