Search Picture Book Palooza

Saturday, December 17, 2011

BOOM!

I've slowly been going through the list of  cumulative stories on my library's website

Sitting Down to Eat by Bill Harley, pictures by Kitty Harvill is a fun, silly story.  Harley has an information page at the end about how he chose to end the story, and how it began as a song.  There's a child sitting down to eat and there's a knock at the door.  Every time it's a different animal and they want to share the meal.  I like that it's so generic.  You can't really tell if the child is a boy or girl.  The animals make a distinct noise and Harley suggests using a distinct voice for each of them, also.  I can see using this with preschoolers and Kindergarteners.  It is a counting book, it rhymes, and is repetitious.  The pictures are cut paper with some paint treatments or crayon here and there.  I couldn't find the actual description, so this is my own analysis.  I found another blogger that has made this into a flannel story.  Looks like a great summer staff project!

No comments: