Search Picture Book Palooza

Monday, August 8, 2011

Beautiful Oops!


Beautiful Oops! by Barney Saltzberg isn't brand new, it came out in 2010, but we didn't have a copy at my branch so I ordered one. It's brilliant! I love how it takes a smudge, or a piece of torn paper, or a blob and makes something fun and new out of it. It is a true root of imagination and inspiration. It's clever on many levels. At first glance you may think it is on a very low level, with lift the flaps stuff, but it could be used to inspire a third or fourth grader to make something beautiful out of a smear or a stain. Something that may be seen at first as a mistake, is then used as an opportunity to make it useful, fun, and playful.
This book also reminds me of the scribble game I play with my niece. We take turns making a scribble on a piece of paper and the other one draws something out of the scribble. She's going into 3rd grade and loves to play this.

No comments: