Search Picture Book Palooza

Monday, November 30, 2009

New Wave

I'm going to try a few new things. Blogging before was getting boring, so I'm going to try it differently. For today, I'm going to add my new storytime theme with Early Literacy notes.

Theme: Perfect Pies

Nursery Rhymes

Little Jack Horner

Little Jack Horner
Sat in a corner
Eating his yummy pie.
He stuck in his thumb
And pulled out a plum,
And said, "What a good boy am I."
Adapted Traditional

Simple Simon
Simple Simon met a pie man going to the fair.
Says Simple Simon to the pie man, let me taste your ware.
Says the pie man to Simple Simon, show me first your penny;
Says Simple Simon to the pie man, indeed I have not any.

Sing a song of Sixpence
Sing a song of sixpence,
A pocket full of rye,
Four and twenty blackbirds,
Baked in a pie!
When the pie was opened,
The birds began to sing,
“Wasn’t that a dainty dish
To set before the king?”
shortened from original

Contemporary Songs & Rhymes

Someone’s Baking
(tune: Frere Jacques)
Someone's baking, someone's baking
Pumpkin pie, pumpkin pie.
It's so yummy, yummy
In my tummy, tummy.
Pumpkin pie, pumpkin pie.
Try other flavors too

10 Pieces of Pie
1 little, 2 little, 3 pieces of pie;
4 little, 5 little, 6 pieces of pie;
7 little, 8 little, 9 pieces of pie;
10 little pieces of pie.
1 for me and 2 for you, 1 for me and 2 for you,
1 for me and 2 for you, 1 piece is left.
Who should get the last piece,
who should get the last piece,
who should get the last piece?
Quick gobble it up!

Five Pies

1 pumpkin pie topped with whipped cream goo,
Add a cherry and that makes two.
2 yummy pies I spy with glee,
Add an apple and that makes three.
3 delicious pies now let’s add one more,
A blueberry baked just so makes four.
4 tantalizing pies smell so divine,
Add pecan and now we have five so fine.
Five mouth-watering pies spread out so,
Let’s dig in before it’s time to go!


P is for Pie
P is for pie, any flavor will do.
P is for pony we ride to the zoo.
P is for pig with a silly hair do.
P is for purple and pink polka-dots too.

Books about Pies

Delessert, Etienne; A was an Apple Pie *
Dunn, Carolyn; A Pie Went By
Ehlert, Lois; Pie in the Sky *
Jackson, Alison; I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie
Kantor, Susan; Tiny Tilda’s Pumpkin Pie *
Lindsey, Kathleen D.; Sweet Potato Pie
Low, Alice; Blueberry Mouse
Martin, David; All for Pie, Pie for All! *
Munsch, Robert; More Pies!
* books shared during storytime

Early Literacy Notes

Delessert, Etienne; A was an Apple Pie
Letter Knowledge, Alphabet

Dunn, Carolyn; A Pie Went By
Cumulative story, rhyming, narrative skills

Ehlert, Lois; Pie in the Sky
Science of cherry pie life cycle, narrative skills

Jackson, Alison; I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie
Cumulative, thanksgiving, narrative skills

Kantor, Susan; Tiny Tilda’s Pumpkin Pie
Vocab. –fragrance, cumulative

Lindsey, Kathleen D.; Sweet Potato Pie
African American, cooperation, family life

Low, Alice; Blueberry Mouse
rhymes
Martin, David; All for Pie, Pie for All!
Cumulative, narrative skills

Munsch, Robert; More Pies!
Humorous, cumulative

1 comment:

girl_next_door said...

Oh!!! I simply love these nursery rhymes.This makes me feel fresh & happy. Remembering those golden days of my life (although I can remember a few of my kindergarden days..but still...). I love the pie rhymes. :)