Search Picture Book Palooza

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

CYPD Conference

Well, I was able to participate in the Indiana Library Federation's conference for Children's and Young People's Division - children's and teen librarians from all over the state came to Fort Wayne for a two day conference. Our keynote speaker for dinner on Sunday was Chris Crutcher a teen author that writes like no tomorrow. I am on the CYPD board and found myself sitting across from him at dinner, and it was a great treat to listen to stories and sharings in a smaller setting. I bought a book and had it autographed for Ethan this Christmas, it's short stories about athletes called Athletic Shorts.

We also heard from Helen Frost, that has written early readers, as well as upper elementary and teen novels. She is living in Fort Wayne, so I hope to see her more often.
We had illustrator E. B. Lewis.He illustrates amazingly beautiful paintings and has several award winning books like Coming on Home Soon by Jacqueline Woodson.
I love to hear authors and illustrators talk about the process they use to write or illustrate. Children's musician, Jim Gill gave us a concert and there's nothing like 200 + librarians singing and dancing with a banjo man!

I helped to coordinate things here in Fort Wayne, but still got to enjoy a lot. Whew! it was quite a learning experience and I'm exhausted, I'm glad it's over, but on to next year!
Now it's just quiet Autumn days ...

No comments: