Search Picture Book Palooza

Monday, February 18, 2008

New Books

Some new picture books that may be on someone's mock Caldecott this year:

The Ugly Duckling retold by Stephen Mitchell, paintings by Steve Johnson and Lou Fancher. These awesome paintings have some kind texture, material look, enough that I think I can feel it.

Not a Stick by Antoinette Portis, a companion to Not a Box. Uses color sparsely, but well. I may like this one better than the box one.

A Kitten Tale by Eric Rohmann, caldecott winner Eric has done it again, as far as I'm concerned. Great expressions, subtle colors. Wonderful!

Zen Ties by Jon J. Muth - has beautiful watercolors, great expression, quietly teaches a lesson, but not preachy!

Maybe a Bear Ate It! by Robie H. Harris and illustrated by Michael Emberley. I love the bear's expresion, well I love all the expressions! I love the use of the stuffed animals throughout the story, but as if they were real. Terrific story.
What do others think of these books?
If you're interested in ACPL's Mock Caldecott, we welcome your involvement.

No comments: