Search Picture Book Palooza

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Storytime


I love to do The Gingerbread Boy for December. I love to go to a 1st - 2nd grade class and take about 15 different versions of the story and have the kids play with the idea of coming up with a new version. One girl this year used the idea of the gingerbread boy running away from jungle animals, a snake, tiger, monkey, and elephant. It was great to listen to their ideas. I start off with the traditional tale, I like to use The Gingerbread Man retold by Eric A. Kimmel and illustrated by Megan Lloyd. Then read The Gingerbread Cowboy by Janet Squires and illustrated by Holly Berry. I end with The Gingerbread Girl by Lisa Campbell Ernst. For storytime in the library, if I have a small group I'll use The Gingerbread Man: A Holiday Sparklers Book by Dawn Bently, it's a board book. And The Gingerbread Kid Goes to School by Joan Holub, it's an early reader, but has great pictures and is just a riot for kids in school.
This year I bought a craft foam kit from Oriental Trading. It is a Design Your Own Gingerbread Ornament. It's a lot of fun and the kids in the 1st & 2nd grade class had fun with them. I'll get some pictures of that up soon. I had a disposable camera with me instead of the digital and will have to get them put on a disc first. Have fun with the gingerbread!

No comments: