Search Picture Book Palooza

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Afterschool Programs


It's Turkey Day! Well almost. We made lovely turkey puppets for Storytime last night. We had a blast and of course made a huge mess with the feathers. I love to do crafts with my storytimes. If a child or parent can't stay for the craft, they can take some items with them or know for the next week that we can take 15 - 30 min. after the storytime for a craft. I try to make it simple, usually, but this paper plate turkey, from the old Copycat Early Childhood newsletter, ended up being a little trickier than I previously remembered. Hmmm, a tricky turkey, sounds like a fun story to write. I'll have to give it some thought. Now my philosophy behind doing a craft with storytime is the old saying about what kids remember.

Children remember

10% of what they read

20% of what they hear

30% of what they see

50% they both see and hear

70% what they discuss with others

80% what they experience personally

95% what they teach to someone else

I could find no scientific proof of this saying, but I've used the general idea behind doing crafts with storytime. Kids seem to recall better when they have a connection to the 'something.'

I like to think it might jog their memory or a parent's memory about coming to the library for fun stuff. That could include books, music, movies, etc. But to try to squeeze in there that library programs are fun too! I mean who takes one look at that silly turkey and can't remember where they made it?
By the way this turkey is made using paper plates, stapler, glue, feathers, and a sheet from the Copycat that I've had forever that the kids color the feet, beak, and wattle.
Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: